Hey hey crochet lovers. There’s more to life than Pokemon and I’m keen this year to bring you a touch more variety.
I’ve got big plans for a whole new range of geek-themed Amigurumi – a range of dolls based on the queens of RuPaul’s Drag Race – and if this first one is anything to go by, they’re going to take a lot longer than most of the Pokemon I’ve crocheted so far.
I picked up the new Toft book, Edward’s Crochet Doll Emporium, for my birthday and its doll patterns are a great starting point for the drag queens I have in mind. The book has a mix-and-match range of dolls’ clothes and accessories to play with, so I’m looking forward to getting stuck in.
For this first doll, I used the standard doll pattern (with advanced arms) and coupled it up with the ball gown pattern. I added a little extra room to the bust of the dress, as it’s all about the silhouette, hunties. The doll was pretty easy to make but the dress was surprisingly fiddly, as most of it is worked with fiddly stitches. I don’t think it’s my neatest but of crocheting but the overall effect works.
There’s one extra element I needed that funnily enough, the Toft book didn’t cover – a little breast plate to give the doll a little more oomph up front.
Sadly, I haven’t been able to fully complete this doll yet, as I’m still waiting for some new needle-felting needles I ordered weeks ago. The task of emulating a queen’s makeup with needle-felting is a little daunting but I honestly can’t wait to get started. Wish me luck!