Oh honey, it’s Trixie Mattel

Hey hey squirrel friends. If you’ve been following my crochet journey, you may have read a few weeks ago about my new venture – attempting to turn my crochet skills to creating miniature drag queens. After a good few weeks of tinkering and polishing, I’m so happy with my first drag doll.

Bald queens are in this season

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I’ve been using the Toft Doll Emporium book as the starting point for my drag doll designs. The basic doll pattern and ball gown pattern formed the base of the design, paired up with a pretty pair of matching pink pumps. There’s a self-drafted breast plate too adding a bit more oomph up front.

They may not be killer heels but at least they match the dress

When it comes to drag queen hair, it’s go big or go home, so the remnants of yellow wool I was started with for the wig didn’t go too far. Rather than leave poor Trixie with a ratty ass weave, I had to mix in a second yarn – this time a lovely soft Rico Baby DK. It’s not a perfect colour match but the gentle variation added some nice depth.

“I’m ready for my closeup”

For the sassy bow in Trixie’s hair, I turned to a simple sassy bow pattern from Simply Collectible Crochet, which is suitably over the top.


Rocking the windswept look

Achieving a convincing drag makeup look with needlefelting is quite a challenge, especially with Trixie – she’s hardly subtle. My first attempt wasn’t quite dramatic enough, so what you see here is take two where I worked over my first effort to make everything bigger, bolder and more dramatic.

I hope you like Trixie. She’s given me the confidence to crack into more drag dolls, so expect more queens to sashay your way in the months ahead.

Gentlemen, start your engines…

Hey hey crochet lovers. There’s more to life than Pokemon and I’m keen this year to bring you a touch more variety.

I’ve got big plans for a whole new range of geek-themed Amigurumi – a range of dolls based on the queens of RuPaul’s Drag Race – and if this first one is anything to go by, they’re going to take a lot longer than most of the Pokemon I’ve crocheted so far.

I picked up the new Toft book, Edward’s Crochet Doll Emporium, for my birthday and its doll patterns are a great starting point for the drag queens I have in mind. The book has a mix-and-match range of dolls’ clothes and accessories to play with, so I’m looking forward to getting stuck in.

Bald queens are in this season

For this first doll, I used the standard doll pattern (with advanced arms) and coupled it up with the ball gown pattern. I added a little extra room to the bust of the dress, as it’s all about the silhouette, hunties. The doll was pretty easy to make but the dress was surprisingly fiddly, as most of it is worked with fiddly stitches. I don’t think it’s my neatest but of crocheting but the overall effect works.

Bam! A breast plate fit for a queen

There’s one extra element I needed that funnily enough, the Toft book didn’t cover – a little breast plate to give the doll a little more oomph up front.

Working it

Sadly, I haven’t been able to fully complete this doll yet, as I’m still waiting for some new needle-felting needles I ordered weeks ago. The task of emulating a queen’s makeup with needle-felting is a little daunting but I honestly can’t wait to get started. Wish me luck!